What you should know about car insurance claims
Whenever you are involved in a car accident, you need to know the various procedures that need to be followed in the quest to have your insurance claims settled; and get car insurance quotes online before you make a final decision. Detailed below are the main procedures that you ought to follow:
- Make sure that all the occupants in your vehicle are alright as well as all those who are in the vehicle belonging to the other party or parties. Give first aid to all the vehicle occupants who are injured as you call for emergency medical help. Although some injuries may look minor, ensure that everybody undergoes further checks at a medical center to ascertain that there are no unseen internal injuries.
- Search for bystanders who may have had an eye witness account about how the accident happened and get their contacts. They may come in handy in giving a first hand account of what exactly transpired.
- Call the traffic police if they are no where nearby and file a report regarding the accident with immediate effect. The information you give such officers should be factual and not contain any errors or speculations. Cheap car insurance for teenagers is fine, but you want to still make sure to call the cops if an accident happens.
- Call your insurance agent for car insurance quotes: This is a very important thing to do. Many insurance agents have a hotline that is available day and night for clients to call incase of an emergency. When making such call, you will need to have gathered as much information as you can from the accident scene. At this juncture you need to tell your agent exactly how the accident occurred, where it occurred and at what time. Insurance Information about the other driver will also be relevant as well as all other people who were involved in the accident. Also remember to give information regarding the particular areas of your vehicle that were damaged. It is vital to make sure that you give very specific information regarding the incident and there should be no room for speculations of any kind. If you are not sure about something, it is better that you do not mention it. As a matter of fact, the accident report details that you have filed with the police should not contradict with any information that you offer your insurance agent. The insurance agent may ask you whether you had any conversations with the police officers other than filing the accident report. In such a scenario, tell them all that you discussed with such traffic officers without holding back. It is important to know that people have lost out on claims that they would have received were it not for withholding of important information needed by their insurance companies.
- Call the insurance company of the other driver: If the other driver was the transgressor bringing about the accident, you ought to contact his or her insurance company and inform them that you have duly filed an insurance claim. In such scenarios, such insurance company will also keep your contacts incase they need you to verify the claims about their client being at fault during the accident.
- Keep your medical records safely: This is particularly important when it comes to personal injury claims. Medical records can be the deciding factor as to whether you will get compensated for personal injury or not. If you loose your medical records after a car accident, you might as well say goodbye to your claims. Most people have ended up loosing their claims after misplacing their medical records. You need to remember that such records are the only proof that you were hospitalized after a car accident. Things can be even worse if you do not have medical bills and were maimed (paralyzed) after the accident. This is because all those who become paralyzed after an accident are often eligible for wage loss compensation. However, such compensation may be all in vain if there are no medical records to provide the proof needed.
Always remember that failure to understand your car insurance policy before an accident occurrence can make your process of making claims all the more harder when an accident occurs. Never agree to sign on the dotted line before you fully understand the car insurance policy that you want to buy. Ask all the questions that you need to ask from your insurance agent and have all matters regarding your car insurance clarified. That will be a sure way for you to have a smooth sailing when it comes to making car insurance claims in the event of an accident.